Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Response to Hypocrytical or Not?

While reading BD’s comments about weapons in the Middle East I became very interested in what he was saying. Making a comparison between the United States weapons distribution among people and the Middle East’s amount of weaponry is difficult. I have limited knowledge on this situation, but from what I have read and learned it seems like Middle Eastern people have many more rifles than Americans. I would not say however that America has no weapons issues either though. I believe American have a large number of guns as well, but we are just more discreet about showing our weaponry. An American citizen who possessed a rifle would never walk around town with it slung over his shoulder, it doesn’t happen. But in the Middle East it is common to roam towns covered in knives and daggers, and draped with guns. A really interesting topic BD touched on was nuclear weaponry. I agree with him that the production of nuclear arms is in no way a good thing, and I also wonder why we have the exclusive right to create these weapons. I feel strongly that our nation is being hypocritical by manufacturing so many nuclear weapons while making sure no one else has any, but I also cannot blame them from acting this way. We cannot lead by example and destroy our weapons, because then we would not be able to ensure that other countries follow our lead. Also if we keep our weapons other countries will want them to protect themselves from us. I don’t know how this problem can be solved but I know nothing good can come from producing hundreds of nuclear weapons.
D.P.S.

No comments: